Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Jeff Van Gundy: It-Getter

Mike Breen lays down some 17-themed numerology, to which Mark Jackson quickly declares, "It means...NOTHING." Breen, clearly just going for some local color, tries to get Jackson and Van Gundy to admit they had some superstitions as player and coach, to which Jeff Van Gundy explains:

Good players and great players...that’s my superstition!

Dubious grammar aside, that's one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. Jeff Van Gundy is truly the anti-Joe-Morgan, swapping inane blandness for insane hilarity and replacing bizarre gut feelings with pragmatic rationality. And no, I don't think I'm overstating things. Not one bit.

I love this man. I'd say in a non-gay way, but, well...I'm not so sure anymore.

1 comment:

Noel Harrison said...

I heard that during the game and shed a single tear, like the Indian in that PSA you're probably too young to remember. *pulls pants up higher, further emphasizing old fogey-ness*

There is comedy, there's high comedy, there's Jeff Van Gundy calling a game, and then there's Jeff Van Gundy desperately clutching Alonzo Mourning's leg for dear life hoping to survive/mitigate the chaos that was Knicks-Heat during the 90s. Good times.