Monday, June 23, 2008

No more navel-gazing! (Well, just this one last time)...

Will Leitch has written a truly excellent (and uncharacteristically ornery) post over at Deadspin about an LA Times article that basically claimed, thanks to some choice quotes from The Big Lead's Jason MacIntyre, Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, and Deadspin's own A.J. Daulerio, that the wild days in the sports blogosphere are giving way to some newfound respectability. Leitch, in so many words, called this a pile of horseshit. He even used the word "fuck" and everything, which for him is relatively remarkable. And you know what?

Leitch's right. Psychotic...but absolutely right. We got to take these bastards. We could fight them with conventional weapons. That could take years, cost millions of lives. In this case, I think we have to go all out. I think this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

(Thanks Animal House!)

Unfortunately, since I can't come up with an appropriately futile and stupid gesture (fire-bombing is still technically illegal, right?), I'll just do this - from now on, fuck the whole MSM/blogosphere thing. It's done, it's played out, it always was played out, and I'm not touching it anymore. I believe Matt Ufford said it best in his usual elegant, non-inflammatory prose:

You people are fucking gay.

I believe that's actually a quote from Henry VI, but whatever. Point is, this self-indulgent self-dissection shit has to stop. And I'm just the sort of worthless peon to do it.

But just before I do that, I have to point out one thing from the article that amused me no end:

"It's almost like the difference between Eddie Murphy and Bill Cosby," Florio said. "Can you still be funny without cursing?"

I won't belabor the point too much, but if Eddie Murphy and Bill Cosby are Florio's barometer of "edgy" vs. "safe" comedy, what year must he be living in? 1986? Because if Eddie Murphy has proven one thing, it's that he can't be funny without cursing. Not at fucking all. Although that movie about the tranny was pretty funny.

Wait, what?

No comments: