Monday, April 14, 2008

No! Don't Boo El Papi Grande!

I know Peter King is usually Passive Voice's beat, but I felt the need to comment on this:

c. All you idiots at Fenway who booed David Ortiz (it was scattered, certainly nothing near a majority) the other night should have your human-being licenses revoked. Ortiz is 3-for-43 in one-fourteenth of the season. For everything he's done the past four years, he's a guy you shouldn't boo, even if he finishes the year 3-for-543. [Emphasis added]



I agree that a 3 for 43 slump after one week of season is to be expected. But does Peter really think Red Sox fans shouldn't boo Ortiz if he went 3 for 543? I am not a Red Sox fan, (and thank God I'm not) but if I were and David Ortiz, whose only job is to hit, went 3-for-543, not only would I regularly boo him, but I'd boo Terry Francona, Theo Epstein, and the Red Sox ownership group for giving Ortiz the chance to make 540 outs.

This dumbass comment is reminiscent of what Stu Scott said about booing ballplayers and represents in a microcosm all that is wrong with sports journalism. These guys get close to jocks, mythologize them, and become totally biased. Favre, Ortiz, and Jeter can do no wrong and when they suck donkey balls, we the fans should not boo them.

I say fuck you, Peter King.

Most of us don't get into ballgames for free and even fewer of us become friendly with these guys. They're human beings, yes, but they're professionals who get paid millions of dollars to play a kid's game really, really, really well. They get paid those millions because we pay our hard earned dollars to watch them do their jobs really, really, really well. If they suck, and I feel like I'm not getting my entertainment value, then you're damned right I'm going to boo him.

4 comments:

Archie Micklewhite said...

Well said. This'll definitely be included in our manifesto when it comes time to start the revolution.

Noel Harrison said...

The real question is, though, WILL the revolution be televised?

Archie Micklewhite said...

Does PBS count as televised?

Noel Harrison said...

PBS is still on the air??